My personal branding tips are based on my own experience and results. While I cannot state that I am the foremost expert in the field, I am nonetheless someone who is accessible and one who has successfully built his personal brand from the ground up.
What Is Your Brand?
Branding is a term that is thrown around so loosely. Most think it means a logo that is plastered all over our marketing materials. The definition that I created for the word Brand is, “Your Distinctive, Indispensable Attributes and Value.”
Distinctive – “Characteristic of one person or thing, and so serving to distinguish it from others.”In other words, what makes up your character? What are your core beliefs and personal ethos? Your brand must reflect what is genuinely characteristic about you, in that it clearly distinguishes you apart from others.
Indispensable – “1. Absolutely necessary; essential. 2. Incapable of being disregarded or neglected. 3. A person or thing that is indispensable.” A great brand is something or someone that is a must to be associated with and/or obtained. Possessing this brand in their lives has become essential to their survival or enhancing the meaning in their lives.
Attributes – “1. A quality or feature regarded as a characteristic or inherent part of something or someone. 2. Something used as a symbol of a particular person, office or status.” Brands are often defined by a logo (Apple, Starbucks), a certain color (Tiffany & Co.) or even a distinctive of sound (Harley-Davidson).
Value – “1. The importance, worth, or usefulness of something. 2. consider (someone or something) to be important or beneficial; have a high opinion of. 3. Monetary worth of (something or someone).” Value is often an abused term by content marketers, but the essence of any value is the importance people place on something or someone. How important you have become to the lives of others is directly proportional to your value.
One of the key personal branding tips that I always accentuate as vitally important is research. Your branding and content will resonate further and deeper within the minds when your brand iss founded on research. As “the father of advertising”, David Ogilvy, would say, “What does the customer think?” The better you can delve into the mind, thoughts, desires and dreams of your potential customer, the better you can hone your branding. Moreover, your messaging in all your content that you create and distribute will be accepted more readily. And the fact of the matter is, is that research is easier and more accessible today for the SMB owner than at any point in business and marketing history.
Personal Branding Tips You Can Do Yourself
1. Clearly define your target audience. To position yourself as a ______________, you need to understand what people will find incredibly valuable.
2. Clearly define you are, accentuating the benefits that you offer. People are really not interested in who you are or what you do, but what benefits you can deliver to them.
3. Show how you accomplish what value you bring to the table. You must validate your brand with content, such as a video, FAQs, case studies, eBooks, etc. on how you go about accomplishing what you promise. Educate them.
4. Validate your value with successes and positive reviews. No one will believe you fully until you can present third party validation. Even new start-ups can find trusted friends and past clients with your last job that can validate your work ethic, professionalism and commitment to your craft and purpose.
5. Deliver the goods. You must bring exceptional service to those that begin to use your product or service. This will breed more positive reviews, increased word-of-mouth and your best referrals.
6. Keep communicating, keep publishing content. This is where you will establish your real brand value. Your persistence in communicating and publishing content via your blog, webinars, live workshops and other venues, will prove that you are unstoppable and relevant. Nothing sells like success and persistence.
7. Become a student. Listen to smarter people. You’re never going to get it 100% right in the beginning. Humility allows you to listen and learn from others. You will never be the smartest guy in your industry. And even if you are, listen and learn to others. This is one of the best personal branding tips of them all.
Personal Branding Tips: When You Need Help
These personal branding tips are the basics. If you need assistance in developing a comprehensive strategy for your personal branding, feel free to contact me.