Learning how to market your business must include a look at how to “build buzz” with organic methods. Why spend a lot of money on Google ads or paid social media marketing when it may not be necessary? Google and Facebook can drive significant traffic to your website, landing pages and various offers. Yet, their costs tend to put them out of reach for most small businesses, startups and entrepreneurs.
To encourage buzz, one must aggressively distribute positive content to your existing clients and social media contacts. In turn, they help to advocate your brand to their contacts. By engaging and activating your core group of customers and followers, you can generate significant growth from a relatively small circle of individuals. These metrics tell the tale:
- 80% of your future profits will come from just 20% of your existing customers (Gartner Group)
- A 5% increase in customer retention can increase a company’s profitability by 75% (Bain & Company)
- It’s 50% easier to retain a customer than it is to recruit a new one (Marketing Metrics)
- Attracting new customers will cost your company 500% more than keeping an existing customer (Lee Resource Inc. via Forbes).
How to Market Your Business: The Low Hanging Fruit
Why make it hard yourself when we are attempting to learn how to market your business? While branding and marketing your business has many complex options to choose from, these are not necessary for most entrepreneurs, startups and SMB’s. Here are the most cost-effective means in how to market your business.
Generating third-party online reviews can represent a powerful, cost-effective manner to build your brand’s reputation. Moreover, it will also attract your best, long-term customers. Reviews are considered as “consumer generated content” and represents your most effective brand advocacy marketing. Services such as Limelight Spark are helping businesses to automate the process of generating genuine 5-star reviews.
For those willing to add some sophistication, you can use video to capture successes and endorsements. Case studies and white papers are another effective method to document third-party reviews, particularly for the B2B market.
Let me say this 1,000 times: Email Marketing is your best online marketing platform. Use social media to build your email list. You do this by posting offers on social media that require an email opt-it. The vast majority of your organic posts on social media are being filtered. Thus, the majority of your followers rarely see your posts. Email arrives every time, as long as it is a good address.
Send your email contacts helpful information, industry trends and “how-to” videos. Treat it as if it was a news wire service and that you are a major news agency. Viewed in this light, email marketing will rapidly position you as a trusted though leader.
Google Hangouts + Opitimization
Google Hangouts is a free tool that can position you as a market leader when leveraged correctly and consistently. Why? Because so few businesses and brands are using this tool to build brand awareness and connectivity with their audiences. Here are some additional reasons why Google Hangout rocks:
1. The content gets automatically uploaded to your YouTube channel when you use the “Hangouts on Air” option. These videos can be optimized for local search, as well as being shared through social media and email. You can generate dozens of videos to take advantage of and rank for local keywords.
2. It’s FREE!
3. You can have your videos transcribed by Rev.com for $1.00 per minute. Then take these transcriptions and repurpose them into blog posts, again leveraging your ability to rank for your keywords.
4. By 2018, it is estimated that 84% of the content consumed online will be video content. (Cisco)
5. Here is a video to help educate you on how to generate Google Hangout videos.